Online dating has exploded recently, and Tinder is one of the most prominent players, with millions of active users worldwide. The best thing about Tinder is that it makes it easy to find potential matches nearby, or you can change your location to find matches across the border.
However, the latter isn’t possible unless you pay for Tinder Plus or Gold subscriptions. In addition, many networks (like schools and workplaces) and countries have blocked the service.
But, it doesn’t mean you’re locked out of Tinder. A virtual private network (VPN) is the easiest and most effective way to evade these restrictions and change location on Tinder. It will change your IP address and make your traffic look like its originating from the VPN server location. A VPN will also encrypt your connection to protect your data and keep you anonymous when accessing the internet. Hence, you can access Tinder with a different online identity without going anywhere.
Curious to learn more about it? Read on to find out how to change Tinder location, the best VPNs for Tinder location change, and much more.
Change Tinder location with a VPN – Quick steps
Use the following easy steps to temper Tinder location with a VPN quickly:
- Select and subscribe to a trustworthy VPN service provider. Our number one choice is ExpressVPN, which has multiple servers in countries where Tinder is available.
- Download and install the appropriate software for your device.
- Open the VPN and connect to a server in the location you want to access Tinder from.
- Launch Tinder and start finding your match.
Why is a VPN for Tinder necessary today?
Tinder tracks your location with a GPS and matches you to the nearby users. However, it doesn’t have an option to alter the location unless you pay for a subscription. So, this means you will be limited to only the people within your GPS radius.
Also, Tinder is not available in some countries, such as Pakistan and China, because of censorship. In addition, it is blocked by networks admins in schools and workplaces. As a result, you can’t swipe to get a match.
However, a VPN will enable you to open Tinder in other locations instead of only in your vicinity. Also, it will help you evade censorship in highly censored countries like Myanmar (for example) and access the dating app from anywhere.
How does Tinder know where you live?
Tinder relies on your phone’s GPS to track your location and show the potential matches within the radius. The app will request your phone’s GPS coordinates and automatically update when you open it.
So this means that you won’t access other users in your proximity, and they won’t see your profile if you deny the app access to your location. However, you can hide your location by subscribing to a premium package. They allow you to mask your real location to prevent others from seeing you around.
Best VPNs to change your Tinder location in 2022
Tinder continually blocks VPNs, so you need a reliable and solid service that will help you spoof your location. Although there are thousands of VPNs, only a few can work well with Tinder. Below are our top three recommendations.
With servers in over a hundred locations, thorough anonymity, and privacy, ExpressVPN is the best tool to change Tinder location and find the best matches from abroad.
- Unblocks Tinder
- Super-fast servers
- Solid security and privacy-conscious
- Slightly expensive
ExpressVPN is our number one choice for changing Tinder location from anywhere. It has highly intuitive apps. Its servers are pretty fast and can knock down all geo-blocks.
The provider has an extensive infrastructure with more than 3000 servers in 94 countries in over 160 locations. It means you will be able to change your IP address and unblock Tinder from any part of the world.
ExpressVPN is packed with helpful security features to keep you safe online. Apart from the military-grade AES encryption, it also has an automatic kill switch (Network Lock), DNS/IP leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and split tunneling.
The VPN also has TrustedServer technology that ensures the servers cannot save any data, and everything gets deleted when you log out. In addition, it follows a strict no-logs policy and doesn’t collect any identifiable information. Thankfully, since it is headquartered in the privacy-friendly region of the British Virgin Islands, it doesn’t even have to comply with any data retention laws. Thus, it safeguards your privacy and maintains your anonymity online.
On the downside, ExpressVPN is a bit pricier than its competitors on this list. Nonetheless, it is undoubtedly a reliable VPN service that you can even test risk-free with the 30-day money guarantee.
It is the best Tinder VPN that allows choosing specific servers from the desired location, and even hide VPN traffic via obfuscation. Hence, your Tinder activities will remain under the radar with NordVPN.
- Changes location on Tinder quickly
- Ensures anonymity with server obfuscation
- Sufficiently secure
- The desktop apps need refreshing
NordVPN is another excellent option to change your Tinder location. It operates servers worldwide, offers watertight security, and the app is compatible with almost all operating systems.
The VPN helps you access Tinder users in other locations with its expansive network of over 5000 servers in 60 countries. Also, it comes in handy if Tinder is censored in your country or blocked by your network in school or workplace.
NordVPN will keep you safe online with the AES 256-bit encryption. It combines this with additional security features such as perfect forward secrecy, kill switch, double VPN, and split tunneling. Hence, no one can intercept your connection or steal your data.
Regarding privacy, NordVPN does not collect any information that can reveal your identity. The no-logs claims have been independently audited by reputable firms like PwC and Cure53. Also, the parent company is based in Panama, which isn’t part of the 14 Eyes Alliance.
This is one of the most affordable premium VPNs, especially if you opt for long-term plans. Similarly to ExpressVPN, you can test it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. Private Internet Access (PIA)
Its large network of thousands of servers never fails to spoof your IP address in the most private manner to change Tinder location with privacy.
- Tempers with Tinder location
- Dependable security
- Tons of server options
- Some servers have slow speed
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a reliable VPN service to change your location on Tinder. It offers excellent security and privacy features to keep you safe and anonymous online.
Changing your Tinder location with PIA will be bliss. It has the most considerable server infrastructure on this list, with thousands of servers dispersed in over 84 countries.
The company is based in the US, a founding member of the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance. However, this shouldn’t be a cause of concern as it has a strict zero-logs policy and no identifiable information. The claims have been proven in courts.
You can create your account with a fake email or pay with cryptocurrency. It means you can subscribe to PIA VPN with anonymity.
PIA is highly secure with state-of-the-art features to safeguard your online activities. It gives you the freedom to choose between 128 or 256 AES-bit encryption based on your connection. Both are reliable algorithms, although the former is more lightweight, hence much faster.
How to download Tinder in restricted countries
Tinder is banned in several countries, such as Pakistan, Indonesia, and the UAE. Thankfully, you can use a VPN to bypass these restrictions and access Tinder from anywhere. Follow the steps below to download Tinder in restricted countries with a VPN.
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN.
- Download and install the appropriate app.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server where Tinder is not blocked.
- Go to Google Play Store or App Store and download Tinder.
Why is Tinder blocked?
Tinder may not be accessible because of several reasons, like:
- Your network blocks it for security reasons.
- The country you’re in censors it.
- Your specific network, like in the workplace or school, blocks it.
- Facebook is blocked in your country, and hence you cannot use Tinder (if you created your account through Facebook).
The dating app updates your location constantly based on your location data. So, for example, if you live in the US and travel to the UK, you will see users in the UK instead of the US. Hence, you can access users back home as there isn’t an option to edit your location without a premium subscription.
Why is Tinder not working with a VPN?
Tinder is working very hard to defeat GPS spoofing tools. So, there are several possible explanations if you can’t still spoof your Tinder location with a VPN, such as:
- Your device’s cookies reveal your actual location.
- The VPN is leaking your IP address.
- Your device’s GPS location conflicts with your IP address.
- The VPN is unable to evade Tinder’s restrictions.
Use the following tips to solve the above issues
- Clear your Tinder cache and data.
- Use a different VPN service. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Activate the leak protection feature on your VPN.
- Contact the customer support team for assistance.
Can I change my Tinder location with a free VPN?
Free VPNs allow you to use their servers without paying anything. However, we don’t recommend them because they are slow, have poor encryption, install malware, and cannot bypass geo-restrictions. Even worse, most of them have been caught collecting and selling your data to third parties.
If you are on a budget, the best option is a freemium VPN such as Tunnelbear and ProtonVPN. These are premium VPNs that offer a free plan. Although the number of accessible servers may be limited, you will get better security and privacy than free VPNs.
Changing Tinder location without a VPN
There also are other ways you can change your Tinder location beside a VPN. So, if you find yourself unable to run a VPN, try one of the following four methods instead.
1. Via Tinder passport
Sometimes you can exhaust the potential matches in your locality, or Tinder’s suggestions aren’t your type. However, the dating site allows you to pay a subscription to access additional perks and features like the Tinder passport. It will enable you to explore potential matches in other areas apart from your locality.
The feature lets you select one city at a time but has the option to simulate your location at any time. However, you will need to pay for the Tinder monthly or yearly subscription.
How to tweak Tinder location with Tinder Plus?
The following steps will help you subscribe to Tinder Plus and change your Tinder location.
- Launch Tinder and open ‘Settings.’
- Select ‘Tinder Plus‘ and make the payment.
- After upgrading successfully, go to your profile and tap on Settings.
- Depending on your device, click on ‘Location‘ or ‘Swiping In.’
- Click on ‘Add New Location‘ and input the location you want to access Tinder from.
- Finally, click on ‘Don’t Show my Distance‘ to prevent the app from indicating that you are far away.
2. Faking the GPS
There is a way you can change your Tinder location for free if you don’t want to fork up any money. While these methods are reliable, Tinder will always try to return you to your original location.
iOS GPS spoofer
Another easy way to change your phone’s location is using a GPS spoofer. An excellent example for iOS devices is MockGo, famous for location-based games like Pokemon Go. Thankfully, it doesn’t require you to jailbreak your device.
Use the following steps to configure the MockGo software and change your Tinder location.
- Download and install the software on your computer.
- Run the program and connect your phone.
- Click ‘Start‘ to see your current location.
- Activate the ‘Teleport‘ mode to go to a different location.
- Input the address of the place you want to teleport to on the search bar and tap ‘Go.’
- Click ‘Move Here‘ to change your device’s location to your intended coordinates.
Keep in mind that the new coordinates will remain the same after applying the above steps. However, you can use the software to alter your location or restart your device.
Android GPS spoofer
The previous method may not work for you if you use an Android device. Instead, you have to find a GPS spoofer for Android like ‘Fake GPS location‘ to change your location.
Follow these steps to activate ‘Fake GPS location’ on your device and change your Tinder location.
- Download and install the Fake GPS location app on your device.
- Navigate to ‘Settings.’
- Open ‘Developer Options‘ and activate it by toggling the first option on the screen.
- Turn on ‘Allow Mock Locations‘ if your phone has the option.
- Scroll down and click on the ‘Select mock locations app‘ tab.
- Choose the ‘Fake GPS location‘ app.
- Go back to the ‘Settings‘ tab and open the ‘Location‘ tab.
- Set the locating mode to ‘Device only.‘
- Launch Tinder and open Settings.
- Navigate to ‘Discovery settings.’
- Change the search distance/radius for Tinder to recalibrate your new location.
3. Using the ‘Everywhere for Tinder’ app
Many Android-specific apps can help you change your Tinder location, like ‘Everywhere for Tinder.’ Here is how to use it.
- Get the Everywhere for Tinder app from a responsible third party and download it.
- Open it, and a map will appear on the main screen.
- Select the location you want and click on the green check-mark to confirm the location.
- Launch Tinder, and the location will match the one you have chosen on the map.
Open the app and click ‘Stop‘ to revert to your original location. The disadvantage of this method is that Tinder is constantly trying to block it. So, you can use another GPS spoofing technique if this doesn’t work for you.
4. Change Facebook location
You can also change your Tinder location through Facebook if you use your Facebook account to create Tinder. Use the following steps to do it.
- Login into Facebook and open Settings.
- Navigate to ‘Current City‘ then ‘Add Current City.’
- Type in the location you want and tap on it from the list
- Click ‘Save‘ to complete the settings
How to change the Tinder location on your phone
As mentioned earlier, Tinder uses GPS to determine your exact location. However, you can override your GPS location to access users in other countries. Here is how to do it on your Android and iPhone.
- Download a reputable VPN service. Our top choice is ExpressVPN.
- Install the VPN app and open it.
- Go to Settings > Advanced and enable ‘Override GPS location.’
- Enable ‘Developer Options‘ and enable ‘Mock locations.’
- Navigate to ‘Locations‘ and choose a location.
- Open your Tinder account. It will automatically configure with the new location.
- Swipe to find your potential matches.
Tinder limits your dating pool as it only shows you the potential matches around your location, but the most straightforward method is the VPN. Unfortunately, tinder blocks GPS spoofing tools, so you need a reliable and trustworthy VPN. Our #1 recommendation is ExpressVPN, which will enable you to change Tinder location from anywhere. Also, the VPN is secure and does not gather users’ data.
No. Although Tinder does not condone GPS spoofing tools, it is perfectly legal to use a VPN to change your Tinder location.
A VPN will help you change your IP address by connecting to a server in whichever location you want. For example, this will enable you to access Tinder users in other places and use Tinder in countries that have blocked it, like Pakistan and UAE.
You can get back on Tinder if you were previously banned with a VPN. First, delete the app, factory reset your phone and download a VPN. Then, connect to a VPN server in any location, reinstall the Tinder app and create a new account.
There are several ways to change your Tinder location, such as a VPN, Tinder Passport, proxy server, and a GPS spoofer. These methods help you alter your IP address, making Tinder think you are connecting from a different location.
Yes, Tinder location will change automatically based on your IP address or your device’s GPS. So, if you live in Australia and move or travel to the US, you won’t be able to see Australian users anymore.