The Roland-Garros French Open is one of the most prestigious and biggest tennis tournaments globally. It will start on May 22 and end on June 5, 2022, involving the best tennis players worldwide.
The event is accessible on various streaming platforms and TV stations, which are mostly geo-blocked. It means that you won’t watch your favorite matches if you are in the wrong country.
Thankfully, you can use a VPN to avoid restrictions and stream every French Open match from anywhere. You only need to connect to a server in a country where the tournament is available.
In this article, we will show you how to watch French Open with a VPN, how to select the best VPN for French Open, and much more.
Quick steps to watch French Open from anywhere
- Choose a reliable VPN service – The VPN should have a proven record of bypassing geo-restrictions, does not collect users’ logs, and uses dependable encryption. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install – Head over to the VPN’s official website and download the right app for your device. For example, download the Android app if you use an Android smartphone.
- Connect to a suitable server location – Launch the VPN and connect to a server in the country where the French Open broadcast is available. America is one of the countries with broadcasting channels, for example.
- Head to a streaming channel – Go to YouTube TV, NBC Sports, Eurosport, or Hulu With Live TV, and start enjoying the match.
If you go with any of our recommended VPNs, you can use the money-back guarantee to test the service before fully committing to it.
Where to watch the French Open Roland-Garros in 2022
A few options available if you are a tennis fan and don’t know where to watch the French Open. Unfortunately, some of them may not be inaccessible in your country. So, you might need a reliable VPN to access any streaming service from any country. Here are some of the popular platforms that broadcast the French Open.
|Platform||Payment method||Free trial||Available languages|
|Fox Sports (Australia)||Free||NA||English, Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish|
|Eurosport (Europe)||PayPal||No||English, Portuguese, Hungarian, Italian, French, Norwegian|
|Bein Sports||US credit/debit cards||14 days||English, Arabic, French, Turkish|
|Sling TV (US)||US credit card||3 days||Over 200 languages|
|DirecTV (US)||Credit card||7 days||Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Filipino, Italian|
|NBC Sports (US)||Credit card||30 days||English|
|RDS (Canada)||Canadian Credit Card||No||French|
|ITV Hub (UK)||Free||NA||English|
|SGR SSR (Switzerland)||Free||NA||English, Italian, French, German, Romansh|
A VPN is a great way to access these channels from anywhere. However, it has to be a reliable service with high-quality servers that can bypass geo-blocks of all major streaming sites. ExpressVPN boasts a 30-day money-back guarantee, which allows you to test the service risk-free and ask for a refund if not satisfied.
Is a VPN necessary to watch the French Open online?
Certain broadcasters, streaming services, and Television channels have exclusive rights to air sporting events like the French Open. However, these platforms are only available in specific countries because of the strict licensing agreements.
As a result, you might be able to enjoy the event if they are not accessible in your region. For example, your connection will be blocked if you try to use a French streaming service when in the US.
TV streaming sites identify your location by checking your IP address. This is a unique address assigned to each internet-enabled device. That is how you are blocked, and this is called geo-restriction.
Fortunately, you can bypass these restrictions and watch the French Open from any part of the world with a reliable VPN. The VPN services on this list allow you to connect to a server in whatever country you want. So, for example, you choose a VPN server in France, and you will be able to access all the blocked websites and apps.
In addition, live-streaming is a data-intensive activity, and your ISP can block your connection, even when the French Open is broadcasted in your region. This is where a VPN comes in. It will alter your IP address and encrypt your traffic and change your IP address, preventing your ISP from knowing your online activities.
How to select the best French Open VPN
There are certain things that you will need to consider when choosing a VPN to stream the French Open from anywhere.
- Reliability – Not all VPNs can get past geographic restrictions. Therefore, the best French Open VPN should bypass all geo-restrictions while maintaining your anonymity from broadcasters and content providers.
- Resourcefulness – A VPN with an extensive server network is desirable. First of all, you will be able to evade geo-blocks in many locations where the French Open is available. Second, there will be less congestion on the servers, which is good for speed.
- Speed – Choose a VPN with high-quality servers that can produce sufficient speed for the best watching experience. Also, streaming is a data-intensive activity, so the VPN shouldn’t restrict the bandwidth.
- Compatibility – Opt for a VPN service that offers apps for multiple devices. This will help you stream the French Open on your smartphone, laptop, TV, etc.
- Support – Even the best service can get a glitch or stop working. Therefore, select a VPN with dependable customer support to get assistance whenever you need it.
The right VPN will enable you to stream the French Open or any other blocked content worldwide. We have compiled the top three French Open VPNs to make it easier for you.
Best VPNs to watch the French Open today
Our top recommended VPN to watch French Open anywhere in the world. It has blazing-fast speed with added security features.
- Fast speeds across all its servers
- Robust security features
- Offers multiple protocols
- Slightly expensive compared to the average VPN price
ExpressVPN is our top recommended VPN to stream the French Open from anywhere as it has ticked all the right boxes.
First of all, it has a vast infrastructure of more than 3000 servers spread across 94 countries worldwide. So, you can watch the French Open from anywhere if the streaming services that broadcast it aren’t available in your country.
Second, ExpressVPN emerged in the top 3 fastest VPNs in our recent speed tests. Also, it offers unlimited bandwidth. As a result, you can watch the French Open in HD without buffering or lagging.
Your internet service provider (ISP) can throttle your bandwidth if it notices that you are streaming. However, ExpressVPN uses military-grade AES 256-bit encryption to protect your connections. This will enable you to stream the French Open unrestricted.
Most VPNs suffer glitches that expose your IP address or even your location. Thankfully, ExpressVPN has a feature known as Network Lock that will cut your traffic to maintain your anonymity. Other VPNs call it the kill switch. This is also reinforced with the DNS/IP leak protection.
One of the best VPNs for any online task, including watching Fench Open effortlessly. It boasts water-tight security with double VPN mode.
- All-around fast and stable speeds
- Affordable packages
- Top-notch security and privacy
- Desktop app needs some improvements
NordVPN is another trustworthy VPN to stream the French Open from any part of the world. Its apps are easy to use and are filled with beneficial features.
Most of the streaming sites broadcasting the French Open are not available everywhere. Fortunately, NordVPN has over 5400 servers spread across 60 countries, especially where the French Open is available.
Slow connections can impede your streaming experience, especially when watching live events. The good news is that NordVPN has state-of-the-art servers that produce super-fast speed, which is ideal for streaming.
NordVPN is ahead of its game in terms of security. It uses AES 256-bit encryption that is highly secure to prevent third parties from snooping on your online activities. It also has two kill switches to protect your browser and apps’ traffic.
The provider adheres to a strict zero-logs policy and does not collect data that can jeopardize your privacy on the internet. It is also headquartered in Panama, which is a privacy-friendly territory.
Its website has installation tutorials and a lot of information to help you solve common issues you may face. Also, you can contact customer support at any time through the 24/7 live chat.
3. Private Internet Access
Has one of the most extensive VPN server netwoks around. A speedy service that will let you enjoy French Open from anywhere worldwide.
- Massive server network
- Extremely user-friendly
- Flexible encryption choices
- Has slow speeds on some servers
Private Internet Access (PIA) closes our list of the best VPNs to watch the 2022 French Open. The VPN is a reliable choice because it will allow you to watch the tournament on multiple devices.
It has an extensive network, with more than 28,306 servers in 80+ countries. This means that there won’t be congestion issues on the servers, which can cause the speed to reduce. As a result, you will have a smooth French Open streaming experience.
Like both ExpressVPN and NordVPN above, PIA also uses AES 256-bit encryption to protect your online security. This will prevent your ISP from knowing that you are streaming the live proceedings of the French Open.
Unfortunately, PIA is headquartered in the US, which is not privacy-friendly. Thankfully, the provider does not collect identifiable data, which was proven by a court case. Also, there hasn’t been any incidence where it has collaborated with authorities.
How to watch the French Open from different parts of the world
As mentioned earlier, the French Open will be aired on other channels and streaming sites. However, most of them use geo-blocks to restrict the broadcast to specific countries. This means you might be locked out if not within the region.
However, a VPN will conceal your IP address when connecting to a server. This will enable you to stream the French Open broadcast from the US, Australia, the UK, or any other part of the world.
How to watch the US broadcast of the Roland-Garros French Open
The Roland-Garros French Open tournament will be available on several US streaming services and channels like Peacock TV, NBC, Sling TV, Fox Sports Go, FuboTV, and YouTube TV. These platforms are exclusively accessible in the US, so you’ll need a VPN to stream the sporting event.
- Choose a trustworthy VPN with multiple and fast servers in the US. ExpressVPN is among the top VPNs with most US servers.
- Subscribe to the VPN and follow the download instructions.
- Open the VPN and connect to a US server.
- Go to the streaming site that broadcasts the French Open event like Sling TV, NBC sport, etc., and enjoy.
How to watch the Australian broadcast of the French Open
The Australian Fox Sports will broadcast the 2022 French Open. This means you can stream the sporting event online through the Fox Sports online site.
Keep in mind that the site is geo-blocked, so you might not be able to access it if you are outside Australia. However, you can mask your IP address with a VPN and stream the French Open from anywhere. All you need to do is use the below easy-to-follow steps.
- Get a VPN service with several Australian servers. Our number one recommended VPN, ExpressVPN has fast servers in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a server in Australia.
- Go to www.foxsports.com.au and enjoy streaming the French Open.
How to watch the UK Broadcast of the French Open
Tennis is a popular sporting event in the UK, with many fans anticipating the Roland-Garros French Open 2022. Brits can watch the event on ITV, one of the biggest TV channels in the UK. Alternatively, there is an option to watch the event online via the ITV Hub. However, you will need to hide your IP address with a UK VPN if you are outside the UK. Here is how to do it.
- Get a VPN service with multiple servers in the UK. ExpressVPN is our top recommendation.
- Download and install the VPN software.
- Visit itv.com/hub/itv and enjoy the French Open tennis event.
How to watch the Russian broadcast of the French Open
The French Open tournament will be available on the Eurosport channel in Russia, and you can also stream it online on Eurosport Player. However, the site is geo-blocked, and you cannot access it outside Russia or Europe. Thankfully, you can hide your IP address with a VPN and get around the restriction. The following steps will enable you to watch the Russian broadcast of the Roland-Garros French Open 2022 from anywhere.
- Choose a reliable VPN with servers in Russia. Surfshark is a good option in this case.
- Download and install the VPN application.
- Find a Russian server and connect.
- Open Eurosport Player and enjoy the French Open tournament.
Will Russian tennis players participate in the Roland-Garros French Open Tournament?
There are concerns about whether Russian tennis players will be allowed to play at the French Open 2022. However, French Open organizers say they will not ban Russian competitors from the tournament like in Wimbledon. Yet still, the French Tennis Federation has not commented on the matter.
Because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, athletes and teams from the country have been banned from taking part in some sporting competitions.
For example, Wimbledon has already barred Russian tennis players from participating in the All-England Club Grand Slam in June 2022. Also, the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) and Women Tennis Association (WTA) have banned Russia from team events such as Billie Jean King Cup and Davis Cup.
Some of the renowned Russian Tennis players affected by the ban include Daniil Medvedev, Victoria Azarenka, Andrey Rublev, Aslan Karatsev, and Karen Khachanov.
How to watch the European broadcast of the French Open
Tennis has a huge fan base across Europe. So, you can stream the French Open 2022 on Eurosport whether you reside in Germany, Spain, Holland, or Poland. As mentioned earlier, Eurosport is geo-blocked in Europe, so you won’t be able to watch the tournament if you are outside the region. This may sound like an impediment, but there is a way around it.
- Get a VPN with servers in Europe such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Launch the VPN and connect to a European server.
- Open Eurosport Player and start streaming the French Open.
How to watch the French broadcast of the French Open
The Roland-Garros red clay courts are based in France, and you can stream the French Open on television or online. However, you may need a VPN to bypass the geo-restrictions if you are outside France. This is how to do it.
- Find a VPN with good server coverage in France. ExpressVPN is our top recommendation for France users.
- Subscribe to it and download the software on your device.
- Connect to a server in France.
- Head to a France TV channel or streaming service that broadcasts the French Open. France24 and BFM TV are two good options.
- Start enjoying tennis.
How to watch the French Open on your devices
After settling on a particular VPN service, you might still face issues installing the software. In this section, we have picked the popular streaming devices to watch the French Open.
Smartphone (Android and iOS)
A VPN will help you get past geo-restrictions and stream the French Open from anywhere. Here is how to configure your VPN with:
- Open the Google Play Store app.
- Search for ExpressVPN in the search bar (or any other VPN you prefer to use).
- Click install and wait for it to get configured automatically.
- Connect to a server where the French Open is broadcasting and enjoy the event.
- Go to Apple’s App Store.
- Search for your preferred VPN, ExpressVPN is our top recommendation.
- Tap on it and click Get.
- Let the app download and install.
- Open the VPN and log in. You’re all set to start watching the French Open on your iPhone.
If your smart TV supports Android apps, you can install the VPN app on your Android phone (like in the Android guide above). However, if you have a different smart TV, you will have to set up the VPN app on your router or use an Android box.
Why is the French Open unavailable even after my VPN is connected?
There are a few possible explanations if you cannot stream the French Open tournament even when using a VPN. They include:
- Your IP address is exposed
- Cookies on your device are tracking your location
- You are connected to a server in a country that no longer broadcasts the French Open
- Your GPS location and IP address do not match
- The VPN is weak to bypass geo-restrictions
Here are viable solutions to solve those issues:
- Activate the leak protection on your VPN
- Clear your device’s cookies and cache
- Try using a different web browser
- Contact the VPN customer support
- Only use a trustworthy and reliable VPN like ExpressVPN
Can I watch the French Open without paying anything?
There are a variety of online TV channels that can allow you to watch the French Open for free. However, most of them are geo-blocked, and you will need a VPN to watch the tournament.
A VPN is an effective way of avoiding geographic restrictions by hiding your IP address. Thankfully, all three VPNs listed in this article are affordable and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, which allows you to test them cost-free.
Some VPNs will promise to offer free service, but you should avoid them altogether. That is because they have weak encryption and sell users’ data to third parties to make revenue. Instead, take advantage of the money-back guarantee of premium services like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, or Surfshark to watch French Open. Also, check out these best cheap VPNs on the market.
The 2022 Roland-Garros French Open schedule
Here are the key dates to the French Open 2022 so that you don’t miss out on the action.
|1st round||May 22, 23, 24|
|2nd round||May 25, 26|
|3rd round||May 27, 28|
|4th round||May 29, 30|
|Quarter-finals||May 31, June 1|
|Semi-finals||June 2, 3|
|Women’s final||June 4|
|Men’s final||June 5|
The Roland-Garros French Open is an epic tennis tournament held annually. This year’s event is about to begin, and you can watch it on various TV channels and online streaming platforms.
However, most of them are geo-blocked, so you will need a top-quality VPN to evade the restrictions. We recommend ExpressVPN as it gets past geo-blocks effortlessly and has fast-speed servers suitable for French Open streaming from anywhere worldwide.
The French Open 2022 will be available on various online streaming services such as Fox Sports, Eurosport, ITV Hub, etc. However, you will need a good VPN like ExpressVPN or NordVPN to stream the event from anywhere worldwide.
Yes, you can do it, but you will need first to add Eurosport player as a Prime channel. However, Amazon Prime is also geo-restricted, so a VPN will be necessary to stream from any country.
Yes, some free-to-air TV channels such as France TV and ITV will be broadcasting the 2022 French Open. Also, you can use both channels’ online streaming platforms to enjoy the tennis tournament from anywhere in the world.
Several channels such as NBC, ITV, and FranceTV will be airing the 2022 French Open for free. The issue is that you will require a VPN to bypass geographic restrictions and access the channels from anywhere around the world.
There are several American channels that will be broadcasting the 2022 French Open, such as YouTubeTV, Sling TV, NBC, and Fox Sport. But you will have to download a VPN if you are outside the US.
You can use streaming devices such as Apple TV, Chromecast, and Firestick to convert your non-smart TV to a smart one. Nonetheless, a VPN is still necessary to unblock the channels airing the French Open.
The Roland-Garros is one of the biggest Grand Slam tennis tournaments worldwide, and you can bet it on various betting sites. Many popular platforms even offer bonuses for new users. However, proceed with caution as most betting sites are not transparent and trustable.
A VPN is a great security tool as it encrypts your traffic to safeguard your data. It also helps to keep you anonymous by altering your IP address. In addition, it will keep you safe when downloading torrents online. So, a VPN is beneficial in myriad ways.
Yes, Kodi is a great platform to stream the French Open. All you have to do is install the ORF add-on to watch the event for free.