Streaming platforms have been on the rise in the USA, and crackle is one of the major ones. Crackle is a streaming service owned by Sony Entertainment and can only be watched in the United States for free.
The platform has been around for a while now and has grown to become a giant in the movie/entertainment streaming sector. It started as an online library for Sony contents in 2007, but today it is a full-blown content streaming site.
Crackle offers huge and promising programming, state-of-the-art / in-demand shows, fun and entertainment content for subscribers, etc. The streaming platform started making waves in 2012. It has also been nominated three times for Emmy awards. In addition, it boasts an animation series featuring many movie stars, renowned comedy actors, and young talents.
There are many other heavily-used streaming sites in the USA, such as Hulu and Netflix, but crackle stands out because of its free subscription model. In addition, crackle generates revenue through its commercials on content. However, the commercial interruption on crackle is very minimal.
We are going to show you four effective and proven ways to unblock Crackle and start streaming content. But let’s cover some basics first.
Quick three steps to access Crackle anywhere
While you can stream Crackle through multiple ways, as covered later in this guide, but using a VPN is the most dependable and safe way. In this quick guide below, we discover how you can unblock the platform and stream free content in no time:
- Select a tested VPN service. NordVPN is our number one recommendation for seamless Crackle streaming as it boasts a vast pool of US servers, robust security, and high speeds.
- Install the VPN client on your device and connect to a USA server.
- Log in (or sign up if you haven’t already) to Crackle and start enjoying your favorite free content.
Why is crackle blocked outside of the US?
Crackle is a subsidiary of Sonthatch and offers many videos and other digital content for its subscribers. It also offers live events, TV shows, and other in-demand multimedia on the platform.
Due to its high resolution and quality video content, it has attracted many people in and outside of the US. However, crackle deploys an almost flawless Geo-blocking technology that keeps out non-US residents from gaining access.
Crackle poses a significant threat to the movie industry in the US, which is why the platform has blocked out content in other parts of the world.
Most Crackle content providers do not want their movies to be streamed outside of the US due to copyright and piracy concerns. Without Geo-blocking, the movie and entertainment industries would make significantly lower profits. Therefore Crackle must comply with the movie/entertainment content restriction policy; otherwise, the platform would lose its streaming rights.
Crackle is subscription-free and accessible for only US residents, which is unlike its competitors. Crackle can be streamed on numerous platforms such as mobile devices, PC, and game consoles, a bonus for mobile device users who may want to stream movies and TV on the go.
Now that we have established why crackle is banned from other countries, we would look at the most convenient ways to bypass Crackle geo-blocking technology and stream from any part of the world.
Unblock crackle outside the US and stream from any part of the world
If you are frustrated with crackle geo-blocking, we would like to inform you that several solutions can help you unblock Sony Crackle outside of the US.
The platform has very tough geo-blocking technology, but we have dug deep to show you the most convenient and safest ways to bypass crackle content security protocols. You can now enjoy crackle movies, live shows, comedy series, TV programs literally anywhere around the world with the options below.
1. Watch Crackle outside the US using VPN
The most effective method to unblock Sony Crackle is through a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A good US VPN service can enable you to bypass the challenging geo-blocking technology of Crackle. It would hide your real IP and replace it with an IP of territory in the USA, allowing you to watch tons of movies from the platform.
A VPN completely changes your digital device location and makes it seem like you reside in the USA. With a VPN, not only crackle, you would be able to watch lots of content ranging from HBO NOW, NBC, CBS, MTV USA, Hotstar, and so much more.
There are thousands of VPNs out there, but only a few can get the job done for you. You need to carry out an intensive search for a suitable VPN that can successfully bypass Crackle geo-blocking technology.
To make your VPN selection a breeze, we have compiled a list of the 10 best VPNs available today. All the providers mentioned there work with Crackle; you can pick one that suits you the best. Then, follow the steps below to configure your VPN when you find one.
- Sign up and download the VPN
- Install the VPN application and sign in with your credentials
- Search for a US server and connect to it
- Wait until it is connected
- Open your web browser and navigate to Crackle.com
- Enjoy. You can now start streaming contents from where ever you are
Watching Crackle on mobile devices
The Crackle app is available on the app store and PlayStore for download. You can either go to the app store or Google Play to download the crackle App. Then, depending on your device, follow the steps below:
- Search and download a VPN and choose a VPN with US servers
- Download and Install the Crackle application from the store
- Open the App and start streaming
- Turn on your Playstation
- Install and configure a VPN on your PlayStation (if you went with any of three providers listed above in this article, you will have no problem using VPN on your PS3)
- Goto Microsoft store
- Search for Crackle application
- Install the app when the download is complete
- Open the Crackle app and start streaming
Watching Crackle on Samsung TV from outside the US
Follow the steps below if you want to watch crackle on your Samsung smart TV.
- Pick a good VPN, sign-up, and install
- Open play store on your Samsung smart TV
- Search for Crackle app
- Download and install the application
- Open the crackle app and start streaming.
2. Unblock Crackle with Tor browser
The Tor Browser has a robust and reliable encryption algorithm that can help hide your location or change it to a US territory IP address. The Tor browser is an easy solution for unblocking the Crackle Geo content blocking mechanism, and it can help you gain access to Crackle from any part of the world. Furthermore, the browser is an open-source application and completely free of charge; therefore, you do not have to worry about the cost.
It has remote servers in every part of the world, and you can easily connect your device to a server located in the US. Tor browser picks random entry and exit nodes from any country you choose. You can also configure the Tor browser to use the IP of a US state or territory to access Crackle. Here are the steps to get started with Tor Browser.
- Download Tor Browser and install
- Run the Tor browser at least once before changing the country code to the US. Running Tor browser at least once would ensure that a file called torrc file would appear. You would not be able to modify the nodes through which Tor is running without this file.
- Click on the icon to open the encryption browser once you are done with installing Tor double.
- Click on connect at the pop-up screen.
Once Tor has successfully connected, the torrc file would be available. Follow the steps below to change the nodes:
- Double click on the Tor browser folder to locate the torrc file.
- Double click on the Tor browser folder inside it
- Locate the Data folder and double click on it
- Locate another folder called Tor and double click on it. This would bring you to the torrc file, which you can modify. See image below
- Open the torrc file by double-clicking on it. It would open in another window with some content in Notepad. If it doesn’t open in notepad, close it and right-click, then select open with and search for Notepad.
When set up is complete open the Tor browser and navigate to Crackle.com to start streaming. Using Tor Browser to access Crackle is free and easy to deploy.
3. Using proxies
A proxy would serve as an intermediary between your PC and the internet, thereby helping you to mask your location. In addition, proxies are very efficient and can help to watch Crackle from any part of the world.
A proxy is a remote computer that can let you choose an IP address in the US and make it seem like you reside in the US. Your network traffic would be routed through the proxy when you configure a proxy server on your PC.
The negative is, only a handful of proxies can break Crackle’s renowned content censorship technology. Therefore you would have to try a lot of them before you find one.
You can find many quality free proxies, so you do not have to worry about the cost. But you have to be careful because some contain malware and spyware.
Automatic proxy setup on Windows PC
Follow the steps below to configure a proxy on your PC:
- Go to Settings on your PC
- Select options
- Network and internet
- Select Proxy
- Enable the Use Setup script
- Enter the Proxy network address and click on save. The proxy script is also known as PAC.
Note that a proxy would only work when your system is connected to the WiFI network or Ethernet. Also, a proxy won’t work if you have an active VPN on your system.
SmartDNS services are one of the most effective ways of bypassing Geo content restriction through DNS. They can help you unblock websites; in this case, they let you watch Crackle from any part of the world. It is one of the best and safest methods because they offer good speed not to buffer the videos.
Furthermore, SmartDNS would automatically route your connection queries from your ISP to a different server and change your IP. You can choose a smart DNS service with servers in the US and fake your IP address to that of a US IP.
Most of the reliable SmartDNS are not free, but they give you an excellent option to bypass Crackle’s Geo content restrictions. Some of the top SmartDNS services include Unlocator, SmartyDNS, and UnblockUs.
As one of the leading entertainment content providers in the US, Crackle offers TV shows, Movies, Original series, flawless programming, etc. You should implement any of the options mentioned above to access Crackle from any part of the world.
If you value your online privacy and security, you should only settle on the VPN option for unblocking Crackle. Of course, all the methods covered above have their very own advantages and disadvantages. But if you can afford to pay a few bucks, you should better go with a VPN only.
On top of allowing you to have interruption-free Crackle streaming, a VPN will also encrypt your internet traffic. It will keep all the spying eyes and hackers away from you.
Yet, if you cannot afford to spend any money right now, the Tor browser will get the job done for free. Of course, you can also use SmartDNS and proxies, but we would recommend you to prioritize in the following order:
- Use a VPN (the most reliable and safe method)
- Try Tor (if purchasing a premium VPN subscription is not possible for you)
- SmartDNS (their free trial will do, too)
- Proxy servers (proxies should be your last option for reasons such as being slow, unsafe, and unreliable)
If you can spare some time, you should do your own research, too. Read through the benefits of all the options, weigh any con that comes with each pick, and decide accordingly.